Commemorating its 175th anniversary, this new edition of the American Medical Association’s (AMA) Code of Medical Ethics (AMA Code) has undergone another comprehensive update. Much has changed in medicine and society since the AMA Code was created 175 years ago, and the AMA Code has changed as well. The Annotations, an important research and reference tool, in the AMA Code has been significantly updated to include more up-to-date and relevant cases, as well as the removal of outdated cases. To celebrate its 175th anniversary, this new edition of the AMA Code also includes artwork and poetry and literary excerpts—all selected to reflect our society and to highlight the importance of diversity and equity—to reflect the AMA’s mission to promote the art of medicine and its ethos of putting patients first. The only national code of ethics for all physicians, the AMA Code articulates the core values and ethical responsibilities of physicians who are charged with curing the sick when possible and comforting the dying. Hence, its wide recognition as the most authoritative guide for physicians who strive to practice ethically.
This modernized and updated edition of the AMA Code breathes new energy into this living document, while staying true to what it means to be a good physician. The AMA Code is grounded in the nine Principles of Medical Ethics, which are the standards of conduct that define the essentials of ethical behavior for physicians.
While the AMA Code provides essential guidance for professional conduct for physicians, it is also regularly cited as the medical profession’s authoritative voice in legal opinions, journal articles and media outlets. It is an indispensable resource that deserves to be in every physician office, medical library, hospital, and place where the public’s health is promoted.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Updated and increased number of case annotations, offering synopsis of facts and legal issues. focusing on the court’s reference to the AMA Code’s Principle(s) or Opinion(s) and the role it played in their decisions.
• Intuitive topical chapter structure makes finding pertinent ethical guidance easy.
• A uniform format that improves the readability and application of specific guidance.
• Consolidation of previously disparate guidance on related topics that streamlines the AMA Code.
• Use of accepted definitions and consistent terminology that minimize misinterpretation of guidance.
• Inclusion of a new preface to clarify the different levels of ethical obligation in the offered guidance.